Fridays, I have off – at least up until this week. Next week, we start working Fridays. It’s all good. It’s been a wonderful summer and I’m ready to go back to work. I think I will love my job. It’s been pretty awesome so far. But I digress.

I was supposed to get up this morning at 6 am and ride with my gorgeous sister-in-law. She got her new bike and wanted to start riding. She’s going to participate in a Triathlon at the end of this month. Me, I ride for health reasons. Last night, I babysat for them and then waited up for my husband to get in from his 7-hour+journey. So the idea of riding at 6 am got squashed because of the rain that I figured was still happening. Little did I know that the roads were completely dry and Denise was waiting for me. Ugh, I’m so lame.

So after I got off the phone with her I tried to fall asleep again but a half hour later, just as I was drooling back to slumber, my brother-in-law, who lives across the street, by the way, called to discuss the check they wrote to buy my son’s car… which I will miss. In any case, I attempted sleep once more, but it was fruitless so I ended up going out to ride in spite of feeling tired and cranky.

Now I have to tell you, I took my bike for a tune-up last weekend and while it was in the shop, I rode my husband’s bike. His bike is maybe a model more expensive than mine, but I rode it so easily, that I was shocked when my ride was done. I rode at almost 3 miles an hour faster than on my bike. The major difference is that his seat is higher. So-o-o-o, I raised my seat when I got my bike back and what a difference!

This morning, I was on the middle incline of l’Alpe d’Huez and cruising – I mean I was riding at a blazing 11 miles an hour up that hill. I was so amazed that I forgot about the old red GM car that parks on the incline – the only car that parks on that section of road, by the way! I’ll never know what made me look up – I’ll call it divine intervention – maybe my mom, maybe Mary Anne… they’re the closest to saints in my life. I’m not sure how I reacted so quickly and why the pickup truck that was traveling a bit faster than the legal 25 MPH didn’t hit me from behind. But I didn’t get killed and finished my 8.7-mile ride in 43 minutes. That’s an average speed of 12 miles an hour for those of you who are mathematically challenged.

So I lived to tell this tale. I’m sure there will be others. Thank you for listening.



Filed under Life

7 responses to “CKY

  1. hey, Peg, can you eamail you number so I can give it to michele so she can call you about the wedding music. My computer crashed so I don’t have your email and I got a new phone and you number didn’t transfer.

    thanks a bunch

  2. fishgrip

    So glad Mom & Mare jumped in there. And you aren’t lame. You are the bomb and I adore you. I wrote a song for us to sing as we climb the mountain tomorrow morning:

    L’Alps D’Huez!
    L’Alps D’Huez!
    We’z gonna ride
    da L’Alps D’Huez

    Huffin and a puffin’
    Das wut she sez

    We’z gonna beat
    da L’Alps D’Huez!

    [repeat ad nauseum]

  3. your husband is home? For good? That’s awesome if he is. You must be ecstatic.

    I know I commented a week ago but I just had time to actually read the post now. Sorry Mama

  4. thetownnews

    Go Speedracer!

  5. I’m so happy for your new job! You are being taken care of by that power greater than yourself.

  6. Thanks for supporting “Spanky Come Home.” She is being very stubborn.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s