Why I got home at 7:30 last night

I worked late last night. It was my own choice. There was stuff to be done. I did it. I also had to do some off-hours upgrades so I did all the prep work after 5 so I’d be able to complete everything from home. I was on the phone with a co-worker, who was also working late, when I received an email from our receptionist (who wasn’t working late… we just have phone coverage from 7:30 am to 8:00 pm, so it was her turn to work the later shift) who let me know that our VP of Sales was holding for me.

Got off the phone with my co-worker and took the call from the VP who was traveling and couldn’t get connected to our VPN. It’s too long to explain how I helped her but I did and in the end she said “How did you know about that?” I laughed. Then I closed up shop and left the building.

Now, they’re doing construction on 295 – the southern end that I travel. The end that rarely has heavy traffic. It’s become a bit of an inconvenience but I realize it won’t be forever and patiently wait for the gawkers to drive by the construction areas so that I can make my way to 130 and home. I always listen to KYW – 2, 3, 4 times a day – for the traffic, the weather, the news. They have yet to mention the traffic jams caused by this construction, but by golly, didn’t they mention a refinery fire at a Sunoco plant in West Deptford? It was supposedly caused by lightening and it was at 3 alarms by the time I crawled past it.

sp_a0216.jpgTook these pictures with my cell phone.

The reason for the back up… people just stopping their cars to gawk. I felt bad for a horse in a neighboring lane. His driver had his window rolled down and was smoking a cigarette. The horse trailer windows were opened too and the poor horsey had to ride through the dark haze.

sp_a0219.jpgBlack smoke filled the angry sky. And their were folks who actually stopped their cars, pulled over and began video taping the whole mess. Folks from news vans were busy filming for the 11:00 pm news.

sp_a0218.jpgYeah, I left late, but this didn’t help.



Filed under Work

6 responses to “Why I got home at 7:30 last night

  1. I love natural disasters! Seriously, lightning crashing and burning is right up my alley.

    Last year, a misplaced tornado touched down on my street – in Philly. I was on my back porch, arms out-stretched, face to the sky, soaking in every drop of the thunderously unstable weather conditions when I heard something I’d never heard before. It was the tiny funnel cloud slamming into my side yard. Then I heard the sound of splintering wood. Then came the sound of the tree falling on my house. I ran through the back door to the front of house where I opened my front door only to be greeted with intruding tree branches and debris. It was exhilarating!

    The following week, while my girls and I were away, another storm ripped through the city and knocked, yet another tree onto my house. I was pissed to have missed it.

    Your phone takes awesome photos. I don’t know how to work my camera phone. Or maybe I just don’t want to work it.

    We’ve been robbed of thunderstorms this year in Philly. I am sad for that.

  2. Heather

    My mom calls hurricanes “exhilarating,” which they are. She stands outside until it’s too dangerous to keep doing so and just smells the air and stuff.

  3. Heather

    I should have put that on Sissy’s Freak Post.

  4. That’s okay. I’m making some serious rounds today. I do exactly what your mom does and my kids think I am going to be wisked away in a “mormado” every time.

  5. spanky

    i would have spelled it mormaedo….just for the proper inflection…or whatever

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s